Friday 6 December 2013

Fabulous Fridays...The Interview ~ EvelynMae

It's Friday and we are pleased to bring you one more interview from our beloved crafters. Today we are featuring: EvelynMae. She creates amazing and inspired cards. 

Read her interview:


1.Tell us a bit about yourself or introduce yourself. Besides crafting what else do you love doing?

My name is Shelly, aside from running my business 'Evelyn Mae', I enjoy living by the seaside in Margate, watching Christmas movies and baking. I love anything that leaves me covered in glitter and glue!

2. How did you start crafting and how long have you been doing it?

When I was 7 years old a friend and I set up a card making business - felt pens in hand, we even named our business and created designs. I have had a number of jobs and careers since then - college lecturer in performing arts to professional actress - but they have always been creative. Three years ago I came back to card making in a professional manner, setting up Evelyn Mae.

3. What are the problems you faced as a crafter until now? Do you have any advice for someone that thinks to start or is new to the crafting business?

The biggest problem I have encountered is competing against 'hobby' sellers who do not charge for their time. It is a highly competitive market and I find that many sellers only cover their costs. Its hard, but finding a niche and always being professional is a good place to start.

4. What's your favourite crafting category? Do you have in mind to start crafting something else (besides your usual crafting category)?

I like art work, and I like the Christmas category! Anytime I can look at festive items, I am a happy bunny!

5. What is your main source of inspiration? How do you propel your creativity?

Taking a day off ... by making myself not think about work, I seem to find the answers to my creative block!! Rest is so important, and helps to keep a grounded perspective on your business.

6. Tell us about your crafting space. Do you have a favourite material and tool?

I am lucky that I have a spare room in our house for my craft workshop/ office. Its nice to have a nice environment to work in, and a huge bonus is being able to shut the door at the end of the day. In terms of favourite material- I love paper- I'm always looking at packaging and wondering what I could do with it!


7. So your crafting space transmutes to an online shop. How do you promote your e-shop, which social media you use?

I use lots of social media- Facebook, twitter, google +, LinkedIn, Tumblr, and of course, my own website. I find that online networking- speaking to people behind other pages, has been the most effective form of promotion.

8. How long after listing an item into your e-shop you had your first sale?

Super quick! I think it was in the first week! I was thrilled - and especially happy to see my stats adding up so fast! I've found that element of MISI particularly useful.

9. Where do you see your business in 10 years from now?

I haven't got a plan as far ahead as 10 years, but over the next three I would like Evelyn Mae to be available in more stores that at present. It would be lovely to think that my business would be the first port of call for people to buy handmade personalised greetings cards!

10. How did you find MISI? What else would you like to see being added to the site?

I heard of MISI in a forum on Facebook.





Other Profiles/Pages



0 comments:

Post a Comment